In this KB
- What is the 500 Internal Server Error
- How to check logs for errors
- Common errors and how to solve them
The 500 Internal Server Error is a very general HTTP status code that informs that an error has occurred on the website’s server, without specifying what the error is.
This error can be represented in several ways:
- 500 Internal Server Error
- HTTP 500 – Internal Server Error
- HTTP Error 500
- A blank white screen
Since the error is not directly represented, it can occur due to many reasons.
Determining the Error
You can check application logs for more details about how the server is handling the requests. Apache or Nginx produce two files called access.log and error.log that can be checked for information regarding what errors are being served on the server and their location. You can check the logs for errors via SSH or SFTP.
- A Coding Error in .htaccess. One of the most common errors, be sure to check for misconfigurations in your site’s .htaccess file.
Tip: You can temporarily rename and replace your .htaccess with a default .htaccess file to confirm the error is occurring due to the file.
- A Permissions Error A 500 Internal Server Error can occur due to an incorrect permission on one or more files or folders. An incorrect permission on a PHP script or configuration files usually causes this. Cloudways recommends these be set at 775 (rwxrwxr-x) for folders and 664(-rw-rw-r–) for files.
Tip: You can use the reset permissions button to set default permissions of folders to 775 and files 664.
- A Plugin Error While not as common, configuration errors in a plug-ins setting, code, or packages can also cause the error.
Tip: You can temporarily disable plug-ins to verify which plugin is causing the error.
- A Theme Error An error in the theme packages or files may also cause this error to occur. This can also be due to incompatibility with your application version or PHP version.
Tip: Using a default theme or reinstalling the theme may resolve this error if the theme is compatible.
If you are still having difficulty in finding what is causing the error, you can contact our support 24/7.