In this KB
- Upgrading from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8
It’s always a great idea to keep your application updated to the latest version. In this guide, we will take you through the steps needed to move your site from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8.
- Drupal 8 fresh application including the following enabled modules:
- Migrate Drupal
- Migrate Drupal UI
Note: There is a chance that you may run into the issues such as missing migration paths, contributed modules not migrating properly etc. You will need to check that the modules you use have Drupal 8 version.
Step 1: Make a Backup of Your Site
Make a backup of your site before upgrading its version to avoid any mishaps. For instructions on how to make an -on-demand backup of your site, read here.
Step 2: Add a New Drupal 8 Application
Step 3: Perform Application Upgrade
Once you have launched Drupal 8 app, follow the steps below to complete the upgrade from Drupal 7 to Drupal 8.
- Access Drupal 8 app’s admin panel (e.g.: http://drupal-81073-3039XX.cloudwaysapps.com/admin). Click on the Extend option from the top navigation bar and make sure that that Migrate, Migrate Drupal, and Migrate Drupal UI modules are enabled.
2. In your browser, navigate to the upgrade path on the new application by typing the following URL in your address bar, http://drupal-81073-3039XX.cloudwaysapps.com/upgrade. Replace drupal-81073-3039XX.cloudwaysapps.com with the name of your website/web application. Make sure you read and understand the instructions on this page.
3. Enter the relevant details of your Drupal 7’s database such as Database type, Database host, name, and credentials etc. This step is crucial so make sure all the details are correct before proceeding.
4. You will now be brought to the Migrate UI page where you can view all the potential errors etc. Check these properly and continue with the migration.
That’s it. Your Drupal 7 application/website has been migrated/upgraded to Drupal 8. Upgrading to Drupal 8 brings a lot of benefits. These benefits vary with each individual’s website. The main factor in deciding whether to upgrade or not will definitely be the compatibility of modules.