In this KB:
- What is Two-Factor authentication?
- How to enable Two-Factor authentication on Cloudways Console
At Cloudways, we take security very seriously, and we allow customers to enable two-factor authentication to access their accounts.
With two-factor authentication, you need to provide two pieces of information to be able to access to your account. One (something that you know) is your username and password, the other one (something that you have) is a code sent to your mobile phone. Which means that even if someone gets your username and password, they still need to steal your mobile phone to compromise your account.
Currently, we support Google Authenticator or Authy as applications to generate tokens on your smartphone.
Let’s go over the simple steps to enable two-factor authentication for your account.
Step 1: Login to Cloudways Console
Click here and log in with your credentials.
Step 2: Go to Account Section
Navigate to profile icon and then click on the “Account” option.
Step 3: Install Google Authenticator or Authy and Get Activation Code
Navigate to “Account” in account’s section and select “Security”
Before enabling Two-Factor Authentication you will need to have Google Authenticator/Authy on your smartphone if you have one please ignore this step and in order to install it please follow steps mentioned below:
- Install Google Authenticator (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.authenticator2&hl=en)
- Alternatively, Authy (https://www.authy.com/app/) on your smartphone.
- Now, to create a new account on your smartphone app, you need to scan the QR code provided in the ‘Security’ section.
- Once done, an activation code is shown on your smartphone app, input it in the ‘Activation Code’ field and click ‘Activate TFA’.
Step 4: Enable Two-Factor Authentication.
Now Navigate to “Account” in Account’s Area now navigate to “Security”
Two-factor authentication should now be enabled!
Step 4: Sign-In With Two-Factor Authentication Enabled
After the usual username/password prompt, you end up with this additional screen where it asks for the TFA code from your mobile.
Enable “Let two-factor authentication remember your computer for 30 days” and you will be prompted to enter a verification code once every 30 days (per browser) or after deleting your browser’s cookies.
If you want to deactivate two-factor authentication, just go back to the ‘Account’ section’ > ‘Info Details’ and click on the ‘Deactivate TFA’. Once deactivation is done, click on the “Save Settings” button to save the new configuration.