In this KB:
- What is WordPress Migrator Plugin
- How to Install WordPress Migrator Plugin
- Setting up WordPress Migrator Plugin
- Migrating website with plugin
- Purging Varnish cache post-migration
This knowledge base entry will guide you how to migrate your WordPress site from your old hosting to our platform by using Cloudways WordPress Migrator Plugin.
This plugin is also useful in case you are looking to migrate a WordPress Multisite or WooCommerce based website(s).
Step 1: Login to your site’s Admin Panel
- Enter your WordPress site’s admin username
- Enter your WordPress site’s admin password
- Click on “Log In” button to login into your site admin panel.
Step 2: Installation of Cloudways Migrator Plugin
Once you are logged in into your site’s admin dashboard, click on “Plugins” option at the left hand side and click on “Add New” option.
Now enter “Cloudways WordPress Migrator” under search option and hit Enter.
You will find Cloudways WordPress migrator in the search result. Click on “Install Now” to install it on your website.
Once it is installed, click on “Activate Plugin” to activate it.
Step 3: Settings of Cloudways Migrator Plugin
Click on “Settings” under Cloudways migrator plugin to enter the details to initiate migration process.
Step 4: Enter all the required information
Now, you will see Cloudways migrator plugin page where you will need to enter the following details:
- Enter your email address (any).
- Your destination site URL, which is hosted on your Cloudways server.
- Enter your Application Folder Name. You can find the Application Folder Name in the Application Management tab as explained in this support article.
- Enter your Server IP address.
- SFTP Username. This is your Master username that you can find in the Server tab (you can use Application credentials too to perform the migration, if you are part of a team).
- SFTP Password. This is your Master password that you can find in the Server tab (you can use Application credentials too to perform the migration, if you are part of a team).
- Click on “Migrate” button to start migrating your website.
Step 5: Migrate your WordPress website
After clicking “Migrate” button, your migration process will be started. Be noted that normal time to complete the migration is between 1-4 hours for a small website having DB size 500MB to 1GB.
Once your site is successfully migrated, you will observe its status as completed.
Now you will check your migrated website by opening a staging WordPress URL. In our example, the migrated website is below.
Once you are happy with the migrated site, feel free to take your website live from Cloudways. To take your website live from Cloudways, check out this Knowledge Base.
Please remember to “purge” varnish cache of your website from your console i.e available inside Server Management > Manage Services > Varnish – click on “purge” button. To know more about manage services setting you may check out this Knowledge Base.